Seasonal Assistant Horticulturist
Mt. Cuba Center is seeking a Seasonal Assistant Horticulturist to help further our mission of inspiring an appreciation for the beauty and value of native plants and a commitment to support the habitats that sustain them. The Seasonal Assistant Horticulturist is responsible for a broad range of garden maintenance activities in support of the Gardens Team. This position presents an excellent opportunity for an individual who desires an entry-level experience as a public garden professional and is passionate about native plants.
– Assist the Gardens Team in maintaining the health and care of living plant collections by performing a variety of horticultural tasks including, but not limited to, site/soil preparation, planting, transplanting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilizing, herbicide/pesticide application, and pruning
– Maintain well-groomed and safe garden pathways and assigned areas that are free from debris, including snow/ice removal as needed
– Assist other divisions with horticultural projects and activities
Support Guest and Organizational Programs
– Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
– Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
– Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community.
– At least 1 year of hands on ornamental and/or naturalistic gardening experience
– Good working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural characteristics, disease recognition and control
– Possess a strong interest in native plants, shrubs, and trees, and naturalistic gardening
– Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of tools, vehicles, and small and large-engine equipment
– Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
– Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
– Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
– Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
– Requires moderate physical work: frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 50 pounds
Please note this is a seasonal position working no more than 1,500 hours per year. There is scheduling flexibility for the right candidate that can include weekday and/or weekend shifts.
The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID
vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to diversity and inclusivity, and we encourage qualified
candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.
Please email email@example.com with questions or for help applying.