Seasonal Public Safety Officer
The Seasonal Public Safety Officer provides an exceptional guest experience by maintaining a safe and secure environment for Mt. Cuba Center guests and employees. Using excellent customer service skills, the Public Safety Officer circulates throughout the site, responds to guest and staff concerns as they arise, and assists in the daily operations of the Guest Experience Department by providing parking and setup/breakdown support. Please note this is a seasonal, part time position.
– Patrol and monitor Mt. Cuba Center’s premises to maintain a safe and secure environment for visitors and employees
– Work with the designated supervisor on duty to provide written reports of daily activities and irregularities, such as equipment or property damage, theft, presence of unauthorized persons, accidents, safety and fire hazards, and other public safety related situations
– Provide first response in emergency situations (CPR, AED and First Aid). Inspect medical equipment, audit and replenish medical/safety supplies.
– Follow established protocols and procedures and work with the designated supervisor on duty to address any guest or staff member concerns related to their safety or property, the safety or property of others, or the property of Mt. Cuba Center
– In concert with the designated supervisor on duty, make sure that all visitors have departed at the end of the general admission day or special event
– Greet guests in a friendly and enthusiastic way, answer questions, and attend to guest needs to ensure a positive experience while visiting Mt. Cuba Center
– Shuttle guests and staff in a golf cart and vehicles when needed
Provide Support for Parking & Operations
– Assist in visitor parking and traffic support
– Operate electronic applications to assist with departmental data collection
– Assist in the regular setup and breakdown of department programs and events as needed
Support Guest and Organizational Programs related to Guest Experience
– Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
– Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
– Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community
– A high school diploma or GED
– An active certification in First Aid, AED and CPR through a program recognized by the American Heart Association or a willingness to complete the certification within 30 days of hire
– An active certification in a State of Delaware approved Alcoholic Beverage Servers Program or a willingness to complete the certification within 30 days of hire
– Exceptional interpersonal and customer service skills
– Ability to plan, organize, and manage independent projects simultaneously with great attention to detail
– Ability to effectively communicate with the staff and the public
– Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a fast-paced environment with a high level of professionalism
– Capable of independently making quick decisions with sound judgment and discretion
– Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
– Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including mornings, evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
– Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
– Must be at least 21 years of age
– This position requires moderate physical work including frequent standing for extended periods of time; frequent walking up and down hills on uneven terrain; lifting, pushing, and pulling objects up to 40 lbs.
– Must have a valid drivers license and be able to pass a MVR check. Certification to drive a passenger van a plus but not required.
Bilingual skills are preferred but not required.
Please note this is a part time, seasonal position. During our open season (April to November) a typical schedule includes 4 or 8 hour shifts Wednesday – Sunday between the hours of 9:00 am – 6:00 pm for an average of 24 hours per week (weekend heavy). These hours are weekend heavy and occasional early mornings or later evenings may be required. Hours may flex up or down depending on the organization’s needs. Interested candidates must have the ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to inclusivity and we encourage qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.
The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.Apply Now