Marketing & Communications Manager
The Marketing & Communications Manager is responsible for several key areas of marketing for Mt. Cuba Center including social media, media relations, communications, and promotion. The ideal candidate will work collaboratively with Mt. Cuba staff to develop and execute marketing campaigns and initiatives under the direction of the Director of Marketing, Communications & Membership. This role supervises the Digital Marketing Assistant.
- Manage Mt. Cuba’s social media presence across Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, and TikTok by developing yearly objectives, goals, and action plans. Develop content calendars; write, edit, and post compelling content with imagery and videos; create stories; and engage with followers daily.
- Coordinate and edit content from across departments for publication. Collaborate with internal experts to ensure accuracy and source content. Edit content for consistent voice and messaging.
- Develop and enact a boosting strategy to drive class registrations and event attendance. Report on performance monthly.
- Track and report on social media trends to strengthen overall social strategy.
Media Relations & Communications
- Create and implement a media relations plan identifying key announcements, milestones, and themes for the purpose of securing a variety of earned long- and short-lead media coverage throughout the year.
- Research, follow, and establish relationships with key journalists and influencers in the gardening, conservation, cultural, and entertainment space.
- Pitch and secure impactful media coverage of Mt. Cuba’s research, conservation, gardens, and programming. Monitor and report on coverage weekly.
- Ensure Mt. Cuba staff are ready for interviews by preparing talking points, background information, visual assets, guided tours, etc. Conduct media training as needed.
Marketing & Promotion
- Act as the primary editor and content manager of Mt. Cuba’s blog.
- Manage the importing process of educational programs and research reports to mtcubacenter.org in collaboration with other teams. Edit website content as needed.
- Select photography and edit copy for various print and online publications.
Team & Industry Leadership
- Supervise and mentor the Digital Marketing Assistant.
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession.
- Work collaboratively with the management team on adopting and implementing organization-wide systems and initiatives; help guide strategic institutional goals to support Mt. Cuba’s mission.
- Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba’s community.
- Five or more years’ experience in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, and/or social media. Agency experience a plus. Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communication, journalism, or related field preferred.
- Compelling long and short-form storytelling across various owned, earned, and paid marketing channels
- Outstanding technical and creative writing ability
- Excellent information gathering, writing, editing, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Proficient with AP style
- Excellent verbal and nonverbal communication skills
- Experience with content creation for social media; Sprout Social experience a plus
- Experience editing websites; WordPress experience a plus
- Proven track record of earned media coverage, Meltwater experience a plus
- Exceptional computer skills including proficiency with Microsoft Office and Adobe Creative Suite
- Solid understanding of communications design and production
- Managerial experience
- Project management knowledge
- Understanding of SEO and web traffic metrics
- Knowledge of ecological gardening and conservation practices preferred
Physical requirements (lifting, etc.): Ability to work within an office environment, but also in outdoor and garden spaces with uneven terrain. Ability to lift boxes holding marketing collateral materials weighing approximately 25 lbs.
*The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to diversity and inclusivity and encourages qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply.Apply Now