The Arborist Assistant is responsible for supporting Mt. Cuba Center Arborists in the long term care of all trees located within their zone of responsibility. This employee will be trained to perform arboricultural procedures necessary for maintaining the trees to Mt. Cuba Center’s standards in the areas of safety, health, function, and aesthetics.
Tree Care Assessment & Planning
- Assist with creation and execution of plans pertaining to tree management
- Assist with assessments of tree risk and tree health through regular inspections
- Maintain records for auditing and maintenance activities
Tree Care Maintenance
- Train to proficiency in ground operations and aerial tree work
- Perform all phases of tree care, including planting, pruning, cabling, removal through tree climbing or from the ground, and emergency cleanup of storm-damaged trees
- Maintain tools and equipment in good working order
Support Guest and Organizational Programs related to Arboriculture
- Provide knowledge and guidance to support guest and organizational initiatives related to profession
- Lead, guide, and train employees, interns, and/or volunteers performing related work
- Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested.
- Participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community and contribute to related activities as required.
Minimum qualifications include a high school diploma or GED and 1 year of tree care, landscaping, or related work experience and a general interest in tree care. Must have the ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and equipment, including the use of chain saws, brush chipper, and manual transmission vehicles. Must be able and willing to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions and to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, organized team player with attention to detail and the ability to manage time effectively and function without close supervision. Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed. This position requires strenuous physical work; frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, as well as occasional lifting, pushing, and pulling of objects over 50 pounds.
Mt. Cuba Center is committed to diversity and inclusivity and encourages qualified candidates from all cultures and communities to apply. This is a full time, benefits-eligible position. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits package, and outstanding professional development opportunities.
Please provide your resume, letter of interest, and contact information for at least three professional employment references including a current email address for each.
The successful candidate must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. An exception to the COVID vaccine requirement may be provided to individuals for religious or medical reasons.Apply Now