The Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Assistant support the Grounds Team in the overall maintenance of Mt. Cuba Center’s landscape, including woody and herbaceous plantings, lawns, woods, garden features, paths and roadways.
Landscape and Grounds Care & Maintenance
– Assist in maintaining the health and look of turf through mowing, fertilizing, watering, weed-eating, aerating, and applying compost and compost tea
– Assist in maintaining woody and herbaceous plantings through planting, weeding, pruning, mulching, and other horticultural activities
– Assist in maintaining roads, pathways, and parking areas through surface maintenance, renovations, and leaf, debris, and snow removal
– Support the Horticulture Department teams by assisting with the maintenance of trees, shrubs, and plants through pruning, planting, transplanting, fertilizing, watering, and weeding
Maintenance & Repair Support
– Assist the Grounds team in making regular repairs to maintain the fences, walls, garden furniture, drains, catch-basins, bridges, curbing, patios, terraces, courtyards, and other hardscape features
– Perform regular repair and servicing activites to maintain the good condition of tools and equipment
– Carry out other such duties as may be assigned or requested. Contribute to MCC activities as required. Actively participate as a member of Mt. Cuba Center’s community
– Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and small and large engine equipment plus the ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
– Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
– Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
– Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed.
This position requires strenuous physical work including frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects over 50 pounds.
Please note this is a seasonal, part time position working under 1,000 hours per year between the months of March through December. A typical schedule includes working Monday through Friday during the day.
Having trouble applying? Please email email@example.com for help.