Plant Recorder (Full-time)
We are looking for a full-time Plant Recorder to help us manage and enhance Mt. Cuba Center’s living collections and hold a passionate enthusiasm for their work!
This position provides plant records assistance to staff and ensure proper preservation techniques. This role will guide and assist in the dissemination of plant records information for the organization.
We are seeking highly collaborative team members that put our mission first and will help us deliver remarkable experiences to our guests!
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate with multiple departments to conduct living collection inventories and mapping and oversee the management of those programs to ensure accuracy and integrity in data management
- Facilitates and supports collaboration with outside organizations in regards to plant records resource sharing
- Create accession and permanent display labels for the living collections
- Assigns and oversees the daily work of the Plant Records support staff in a supervisory capacity
- Interface with other departments, staff, volunteers, and guests to promote our mission and lead initiatives related to field of expertise
- A bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or related plant science field
- 3+ years’ experience in curatorial or plant records roles or similar duties
- Good working knowledge of plant identification, nomenclature, and systematics is a requirement
- Fluency in data management software
- Exceptional attention to detail and ability to maintain the integrity of our database records
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and current knowledge-sharing technologies
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
This position moderate physical work; Frequent standing, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, reaching, carrying, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 30 pounds. This position will work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
Mt. Cuba Center, a premier native plant garden, is dedicated to supporting the environment through the practice and promotion of ecological horticulture. Mt. Cuba Center’s gardens and programs inspire an appreciation for the beauty and value of native plants and commitment to protect the habitats that sustain them.
We offer staff competitive pay, access to our employee discount program, a fun atmosphere, a balanced work-life environment, and an AMAZING benefits package (401k matching up to 8%, health, dental, vision, life insurance, paid parental leave, and generous time off amounts).