This position is a seasonal position with a flexible schedule. Our season typically runs from March-December (weather dependent and flexible to candidate’s schedule). This position will be limited to 1,000 hours maximum for the season.
This is an exciting hands-on opportunity to expand skills and knowledge in ecological gardening tactics! The Seasonal Grounds Maintenance Assistant support the Grounds team in the overall maintenance of Mt. Cuba Center’s landscape, including woody and herbaceous plantings, lawns, woods, garden features, paths and roadways. This position will assist in maintaining the health and look of turf through mowing, fertilizing, watering, weed-eating, aerating, and applying compost and compost tea. Additionally, he/she will maintain roads, pathways, and parking areas through surface maintenance, renovations, and leaf, debris, and snow removal. The position supports horticultural activities such as planting, weeding, pruning, mulching, and other general maintenance activities for the care of plants, shrubs, and small trees.
A candidate will preferably hold previous experience in basic landscaping duties such as lawn mowing, mulching, weeding, etc. Candidates should also possess the following desired qualities:
- Ability to safely and effectively operate and maintain a wide range of hand tools, power tools, vehicles and small and largeengine equipment Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to learn and adapt to various software and technology programs to complete work duties
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, and the ability to manage time and effectively function without close supervision
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, holidays and special events as needed
- Requires strenuous physical work; Frequent standing, bending, twisting, stooping, climbing, lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects over 50 pounds
Mt. Cuba Center offers seasonal staff competitive pay, access to our employee discount program, a fun atmosphere, and a balanced work-life environment. We are looking for highly collaborative team members that will help us deliver remarkable experiences to our guests and hold a passionate enthusiasm for their work!
HAVING TROUBLE APPLYING? PLEASE EMAIL CAREERS@MTCUBACENTER.ORG FOR HELP!